How often do you wash your makeup brushes and sponges (Beautyblender, etc.)?
Part of skincare is making sure we clean our makeup brushes and sponges weekly, and replacing them every few years.
Bacteria colonies can accumulate on brushes and sponges over time, even if we wash them regularly.
If you are a little lazy to wash your sponges regularly, here are some tips!
- A makeup brush cleansing pad is a great and easy way to make sure your brushes stay clean. I picked up a pad from Winners and it has been pretty awesome at getting the gunk out of all my brushes! I also use it to clean my Beautyblender.
- If you have extra time in the morning, clean as you go. Wash your brushes and lay them flat to dry, ready for use the next day.
- To prolong the life of your brushes, make sure you avoid getting water onto the glue that holds the brushes together. Wash them with the brush side down, and avoid drying them with the brush side up. Always lay them flat, or elevated with the brush side down, so that excess water can drain downwards.
- Get a pack of disposable sponges. Use one side at a time, so you can prolong each sponge longer than one use. I’m not a big fan of this one, as you generate more waste.
- Try buying about two to four sponges to apply your skincare and makeup. Rotate between them every week, and clean them all at once so you only need to wash them every two weeks, or even once a month.
What’s your trick to maintaining clean sponges and brushes?